Wednesday 8 February 2012

Creativity Theories Explained.

"The making of the new and the re arranging of the old" (Bentley 1997)
I believe that this theory means that by 're arraging' and using the 'old' as inspiration, we create 'new' things. I agree with this theory to some extent as I believe that Bently is almost defining creativity and I believe that we are influenced by old things or things around us to create new things but I don't agree with the fact that he all most states that new things can only be created as copies of old things.

"The creating of bringing something new into existence -"this is particular understanding of creativity involves the physical making of something, leading to some form of communication, expression or revelation." (David Gauntlett)
After reading this quote, I believe that Gauntlett is saying that by having creativity, you are able to create something new and empose it upon the world. I believe he also says that in order to do this, you need to use your phisical skills to bring something into the world as well as communication skills to show it to people and express why you have created something. I agree with this quote as I believe that nothing creative should end at an idea otherwise if you do not take the time to create the thing you invision, you cannot share it with the world and explain your vision to the rest of us.

"Media producers can learn nothing from studying the conventions of old texts"
I definetly disagree with this quote as I believe that nothing can be completely origional to begin with and by studying other texts and other media works, producers of media can gather ideas and evolve their own vision through the eye of others. I also think that by studying older texts, we can adapt to the ideas we created in previous years and create something inventive and new to show to the world which is the whole point of media production isnt it?

"There is no absolute judgement (on creativity). All judgements are comparisons of one thing with another" (Donald Laming)
I do agree with this quote by Laming as I think that to judge someone's creativity and ideas as good or bad is impossible as it would be someone elses opinion of an opinion. I do think however that we can judge someone's ability to produce something creative by comparing the production of their work to other media pieces.

"Technology has taken all the creativity out of media production"
I completely disagree with this quote and think that in every way, technology has elevated media production. I think that in this day and age, with the use of photoshop and other ediing software, you have to have a technical ability to use the programs however you also have to have a creative streak otherwise the media product you are working on may as well not be produced.

"A project that is too well planned lacks opportunities for spontaneity and creativity"
I agree and disagree with this quote as I feel that if an idea is planned in advance, it doesn't mean that it is not a creative idea as someone thought of it and has decided to put it into action - its a creative idea. However, I do also agree with the fact that if a creative idea is too well planned then the oppertunity for spontaneuity is greatly dicreased and I feel that unless an idea is evolved and changed throghout research, planning and development of a media piece then it cannot turn out to be the best it can be.

"A process needed for problem solving...not a special gift enjoyed by a few but a common ability possessed by most people" (Jones 1993)
I agree with this theory to some extent as I think that most people have some sort of creative streak as to have ideas about things and 'create', then you need to be creative. However, I do disagree with this theory in the way that I think a few selected people have more creativiy than others and as a result of this are praised in their work that requires a lot of this skill. For example, not everybody can write both the melody and lyrics for a new Lady Gaga pop single.

"Creativity results from the interaction of a system composed of three elements: a culture that contains symbolic rules, a person who brings novelty into the symbolic domain and a field of experts who recognise and validate the innovation" (Csikszentmihalyi 1996)
I think that this theory explains that in order to create something and be creative, there needs to be outside ideas and influence from a culture, a creative person who can take an idea and create a vision in their head from that culture, and finally an expert e.g. the viewing public, to give their views on the media product created and therefore the idea is recognized as a successful creation. I agree with this theory completely.

"If creativity is not inherent in human mental powers and is, in fact, social and situational, then technological developments may well be linked to advances in the creativity of individual users" (Banaji, Burn and Buckingham, 2006)
I can understand from this quote that the theorist understands that there are many people and not just a selected few who believe they are creative however, he gives an explanation to this that technology is the reason for this. I do agree with this theory as I think that in this age of technology, it is not hard for someone who is not born creative to learn a skill that can be seen as creative. For example, if someone is not born talented to paint a detailed portrait of someone, they can discover hat they are creative through photography and take a photograph of that person that may become seen as beautiful. Similarly, if a person cannot paint or take amazing photographs, they can learn the technical skills required to edit the photograph on a computer software which could bee seen as a creative skill.


Two theories I agree with:
  • "Creativity results from the interaction of a system composed of three elements: a culture that contains symbolic rules, a person who brings novelty into the symbolic domain and a field of experts who recognise and validate the innovation" (Csikszentmihalyi 1996) - I definetly agree with this theory as all of my media work has followed the conventions of the three elements: a culture i.e.research and planning, archived on my blog, a symbolic person i.e. myself with my own ideas about my media products, and an expert i.e. my teacher who viewed my work as well as my peers who gave their own views and constructive criticism of my work. I feel that by following all of these conventions, I have also recognised where I need to change ideas and am validated of my innovation through the grades that I recieved.
  • "The making of the new and the re arranging of the old" (Bentley 1997) - I do agree with this theory as relating back to both of my years of media work, especially A2, I can say that I have definetly 're arranged the old' through my research and planning stages especially and developed my ideas to create my final media products. I feel that by researching other media texts, I can be inspired to be creative and create my own 'new' media product.
Two theories I disagree with:
  • "Media producers can learn nothing from studying the conventions of old texts" - I disagree with this theory as from my A2 media coursework, I think it would be strange to say that I havent been inspired by the 1960's era and previous texts created around Warhol and Sedgewick. My whole idea for my A2 work evolved around an old idea and image evolving into a new text and media piece. During the research and planning stages of my work, I also studied the conventions of old texts more than newer texts and even if they are more recent, for example, 'star image', than surely those texts should be seen as old also?
  • "Technology has taken all the creativity out of media production" - I completely disagree with this quote as all of my media work from both by AS and A2 years has been created using technology such as Photoshop and iMovie. As well as the production, my creative ideas also evolved around research of outside references I could include in my final work which envolved me to use the internet to research and blog my ideas so that I could archive and develop them. In a way, this could also be useful for other media texts being produced around the same topics as they can view my previous creative work from the internet which would help them develop their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment